Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Sustainable Transportation Workshop

I'm doing a little mobile blogging this morning. I'll be spending most of the day at the GP Inn taking in a workshop on Sustainable Transportation.

The City is hosting the workshop but from the agenda I can see that much of the content is coming from the Sustainable Alberta Association. I've never heard of Sustainable Alberta before so it's nice that the day kicks off with "An Intro To Sustainable Alberta" at about 9:00.

Other items on the agenda include; Innovative Design and Best Practices for Complete Streets, A Walkabout Exercise, Local ST (Sustainable Transport) Initiatives, a Presentation from City of Whitehorse and a spot labeled "activity".

It looks like a full day.

One simple change I think would aid in promoting more walking (which is sustainable transport at its most basic level) is to increase the minimum width of sidewalks in the city. Many otherwise good sidewalks almost discourage walking because they aren't wide enough for a couple to walk side by side. Wonder if that will come up today?

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails